Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rubbing shoulders...or elbows = sticking to goals

"It's my big chance", I thought as I clicked send for the RSVP. Liana Lehman, Atlanta photographer extrodianare, was hosting a website launch party at StudioWed in Atlanta. When I saw the post, I thought... I've got to be there, and when I saw that anyone could come... I decided to reply. I didn't know how I would fit in, but I have followed Liana's work for a while and knew that I wanted to be there, to have the chance to meet and mingle with her and other photographers.

A goal of mine this year is to meet as many photographers as I have the opportunity...and to say yes to each opportunity that I get.

And it just so happens that the morning of the party, I thought about not going. On this list of things I had to do that day, driving almost an hour and putting myself in a potentially awkward social situation fell towards the bottom. Then I remembered my goal...

So I hopped in my car and headed to the party where my friend Evelyn had arrived early(actually I was late, she was on time) so she was able to fill me in on details. "Everyone seems to know each other," she said over the phone.
Once I arrived, I walked into the small, intimate party and thought to myself, I shouldn't be here. Remebering my goals, I reasoned that I wouldn't have been able to RSVP if I wasn't allowed to come, so I swallowed my nervousness and walked right up to the first couple of people I saw and introduced myself. Turns out, they didn't know anyone either and we talked for a few minutes. Before I knew it, I rubbing shoulders with several people and met 2 photographers I ended up talking with the entire afternoon. We talked about out business, photographers we liked, struggles, questions, and so on. I had a blast with Evelyn, Michelle, and Megan. At the end of the party, we decided to stay in touch and exchanged contact information.

I also met the hostess herself, Liana. She was warm and inviting and I hope I get to speak with her again soon. Her business workshop is on my list and would absolutely love to learn from her. She has been in the industry for over 10 years and is widely recognized for her work.

I am so happy that I stuck to my goals. I cannot wait to see what this year holds and what other goals I get to say yes to.

Here are a few pictures I stole from Michelle and Evelyn's blog:

First off, these cupcakes were amazing!
Liana Launch Party logo copy copy

Michelle, Evelyn, me, and Megan
Photobucket

Evelyn, Liana, and me
Liana Launch Party 035 copy

3 comments:

  1. Good job at sticking at your goals Kel! I'm so happy that you found something you love doing! Much love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bummed I missed her party, it looked awesome! i was at imaging, so I couldn't make it.. Megan is awesome i love her! :) I am alot like you in that, I also decided this year, against all inclination to be nervous w/ new people, to get out there and meet people no matter how uncomfortable I might feel.. I've been trying as well. Hope to meet you at WPPI! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
KELLY LANE PHOTOGRAPHY | TNB